Monday, March 19, 2007

This has been a non-stop sort of a day. I hardly stopped to pee at work, which is unusual. It felt like I was only there for an hour or so. Rushed around picking up kids and getting my flat tire fixed (thank goodness my dad paid for that road hazard deal!). Then I did something that I really regret and may never do again. Once I had both kids in the car after school and clubs, I headed for the grocery store. Yes, the grocery store trip that I mentioned several days ago didnt' happen until this afternoon. It was already close to five o'clock, so all the other crazy people who didn't plan for dinner tonight were also at the grocery store, along with a surprising number of people in those little riding carts that clog the aisle and beep when you back up.
Having been cooped up at school all day, my children were...well, not like my real children. They picked and tickled and ran and twirled and jumped - all to my utter embarrassment. They cut large swaths of aisle space ahead of me, and created a nice, empty wake behind me. I was mortified.
I was already tired and hungry, not having had proper food to pack for lunch. The deal is, I spent an hour in the grocery store, saying things through my teeth. Everyone in the grocery store knew the names of my children due to the sheer number of times I called their names in an attempt to quiet them or at least distract them. Also, it probably had something to do with my increasing volume levels with each subsequent correction. And no, I didn't remember to buy a new paper brain. Probably because I didn't have anywhere to write it down.
Yeesh.
But the great news is yet to come. One of the ladies on the bulletin-folding committee at the church I work for asked if I liked to read mysteries. I said sure. She brought me a bag of them. They smell like smoke and I was a little put off. But, she was so nice to share with me, so I decided to read them. Guess what? They're dirty! An old lady gave me dirty books to read! Ha! Now, the quandry is, do I read something I never would pick up, for fear that the likeness of the book's cover would be permanently seared onto my hands? I don't want to hurt her feelings....and I feel like I should at least be able to say that I liked a certain part of one of stories, just to prove that I read them and thereby avoid hurting her feelings....
This is not really a serious question, of course. I am simply enjoying the fact that this old lady actually read this and felt okay passing it on to me. Wait a second....I hope I don't look that desperate.

DAILY BLISS: My daily antioxidant dose in the form of pomegranate juice and chocolate.
<3 Christy

2 comments:

frabjouspoet said...

I am totally cracking up at the old lady giving you dirty books. That's just too funny.

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

HA HA HAAAAAA! Priceless!
-B