Friday, March 16, 2007

My Paper Brain

I must admit, here, that I am having a measure of difficulty with blogging. This has not gone unnoticed by my loyal reader. Wait - Mom, I forgot about you - that's readers. And it's true. I am really frustrated at my inability to be interesting here. Here's what I think is the problem:
Normally, I keep lists and I keep a notebook. I don't use organizers because they are never set up in a way that makes sense to my brain. They have entire sections I would never use, and the ones I would use are not nearly big enough to fit all my words and lists. I usually just buy a little spiral-bound deal and add tabs to it that make sense to me. Nightly, or more often if needed, I sit down and dump out my brain into this notebook. It helps me to sleep. It also helps me not to forget things. I am prone to forget a lot of things. So, since the notebook contains all of my thoughts and mental tidbits, I call it my brain.
All of this is to say that I have not been using my paper brain lately. Thus, all my thoughts are jumbled up and buzzing around in my head. My head is getting very full. It's not that I'm more terribly busy than ever before. It's not that the usual stuff is not happening in my life. It's mostly, I think, that I can't seem to reach in there and grab something meaningful to write about. When I sit down and try to empty my brain anymore, all I can come up with is: need to buy flour and sugar this week, fold the laundry that is on the bed, don't forget about the Mother's Day project you're working on, and such like. In other words, my to-do list. And the to-do list is always the biggest category of my notebook.
So, bear with me. I haven't been to the grocery store in two weeks because I have no idea what to buy. We are subsisting on noodles and scrambled eggs. And sometimes toast. I promise that, if I get to the store this weekend, I'll buy a new notebook. Then I will perform a ceremonial brain dump. Then, maybe, I'll be interesting again. Maybe.

DAILY BLISS: Emma brought home a jar of worms today from school. And cherry pie.

<3 Christy

3 comments:

frabjouspoet said...

I can sympathize; I'm the same way. Don't forget that LIFE is interesting...in all it's glorious monotony. Sometimes I feel the most alive in the middle of a shower. :)

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

I can totally identify! I have plenty of pent up emotion, and crazy thoughts to "dump." I can SO feel that feeling of needing to get to the good stuff, but I can't cause there's too much grocery list, etc...

frabjouspoet said...

You just expressed what has been bothering me lately. I have this drive to create and express, but my mind is cluttered with, well, just what you said: the grocery list and laundry and paying bills to ever get to it. I'm not liking this one bit. I don't get to create and I'm still managing to forget the eggs or bread.