Saturday, March 03, 2007

New Babies

Now, I know what you're thinking based on the title, but it's not that. Where to begin....?
Today was the perfect day for landscaping. The clouds were low and fluffy and grey. When I was running my weekend errands, I felt like I was driving around under a wool blanket. Really. So, it was a little rainy and a little cloudy and breezy. The wind chimes were going about their busy singing and I decided it was time to plant some stuff.
This will come a shock to most of you - it always does when someone finds this out about me - I am not good with plants. I know, I know - it seems a domestic goddess such as myself would naturally have a way with all things growing and fresh. Sadly, it's just not something I can do.
But, I've had my eye on these shrubs, you see. They are called tropical snow bushes or something like that. The lovely thing about them is that, while most of the leaves are green, the new leaves come out all pink and cute. I thought these colors would perfectly complement the door and porch I have worked so hard to design and paint (see many of my previous posts for info on the porch....!). These plants have been in stock everywhere, it seems. I frequent Lowes, Home Depot and Wal Mart. Their garden centers are always full of them. Not today. I made three stops before I found them. But I brought them home with me at last.
I am not exactly rolling around in money, so I had to buy the baby-sized bushes. Thus my title. They are very cute. I got my fingers all wonderfully muddy and stuck my toes in the dirt too. I talked to my new babies and told them how long I had been waiting for them to come and how I was going to be very nice to them. I gently eased them out of their pots and secured them in the flower bed with more wonderful black dirt (You have to buy black dirt here. The naturally-occurring earth is mostly sand.) and tucked them in with a warm blanket of mulch. They look so precious! I almost started singing a lullaby, but I wondered what the neighbors might think.
Anyway, my toes and hands got a healthy scrubbing afterward, leaving them rosy and squeaky. Maybe this gardening stuff isn't so bad. I enjoyed it, which is good, because I'm sure these cute shrubs will die in my care and I will get to do the whole thing over in a month or two.

DAILY BLISS: Ben & Jerry's Berried Treasure sorbet!

<3 Christy

2 comments:

frabjouspoet said...

I loved this post. I, too, a challenged in the gardening area. I have some begonias that are blooming like crazy. I even saw my thumbs getting a lovely green tinge. Then my husband told me that he had been paying extra attention to them! Oh well, I guess I'll have to be content to excel in other areas.

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

That's very sneaky of him. I respect that!

<3 Christy