Thursday, March 01, 2007

Thirty one and havin' fun!! (winner of the corniest titles contest)

Well, I'm 31 today. I rather enjoy my thirties so far. Thirty is young enough to be young and old enough to be taken seriously. I'm inspired by my kids' birthday "gift" for me. They very thoughtfully removed key pictures from my photo albums (including taking an entire page out of my wedding album) and taped the pictures together in succession. Starting with a picture of Matthew and me at prom, our wedding, Mackenzie's birth, Levi's birth, and ending with the christmas shot we took this past December. It's sort of a little photo time line they scotch taped together. I suppose at every birthday, I look back at where I've been over the past year, and look ahead to where I hope to go. Truth be told, I love where I am right now. And... I hope this doesn't sound wrong, but I'm liking who I'm becoming. I can definitely look back over the last decade of my life and see that God has sanded away some splintery parts of me, and He has burned away some of the trash. I've survived some things I never thought I'd face.

My marriage is a living miracle. We've been to hell and back. (BACK being the key word there.) We've stayed together through something that causes most people to give up...or if they don't give up, they never find happiness again. But here we are, happy and whole. I don't know if our story will ever be for the telling, but for now it serves to constantly remind me that there IS a God and He IS at work in me. I'm better for the pain we went through. We both are. In fact, I'm not sure I want to know who I am without the lessons I learned in that darkness.

I'm chasing two of the cutest, sweetest, funniest kids around my house. I'm watching my girl grow into a beautiful lady. I'm watching my son develop the wit and charm that will one day make him an unbelievable catch. I love those kids.

I've survived the worst hurricane in U.S. History. I've made it through 12 years as a minister's wife. I've seen my Dad through heart surgery and a major stroke. I've watched my sister go through terrible hurt and then find amazing happiness again. My brother has taken something nobody thought would make him a living and he's made a living at it. I've built a house and sold it. I've had a jacuzzi tub and I've had a scummy seminary bathroom. I've written two books, and survived a life threatening blood clot. I've been betrayed, I've learned to forgive. I've got life changing friendships that bring incredible joy to me. I've let go of expectations and let myself fall into the passion God has placed inside me for speaking, writing, and helping hurting women. I love my life! I love where my Jesus is taking me! No way has it been easy, but man, have I seen Him come alive in me!!

And just think, this ride is just gettin' started. I'm 31, baby! Thirty-one, thankya, Jesus. Thirty one!!!

-Becky

1 comment:

frabjouspoet said...

My friend said the best part about your 30s is that you finally know what you love. Sounds like you definitely have that part down. Happy birthday, my friend!