Sunday, March 11, 2007

Camping

We just got back from our first-ever camping trip! I have remorsefully washed the wood smoke smell out of my hair, gotten a good cup of coffee and am now able to tell you about it. Wood smoke is on my list of all-time favorite smells. Probably, it's even in the top five. It always has been.
It's not that I haven't camped before. We used to camp often when I was a kid. In the Midwest. But up there, if there is a wilderness-reated injury lurking in the woods for you, you are likely to hear it coming - say, a black bear or a bobcat. Here, there are small creatures that take offensive positions in your shoes and sleeping bags. And they can maim or even kill you. You would never see it coming until it was TOO LATE. It's very devious. Poisonous snakes and spiders are the main reasons that I have not been camping since I was ten, which, coincidentally is the same age I was when we moved to Florida. Interesting.
Also, the woods have nice, loamy soil up north. And soft grass and moss. Here, we have mostly sand that likes to jump into your eyes. And our grass is pokey.
Anyway, our church decided to go camping again. We didn't join them the first time, and since we are pastors, we decided it would be good for us to go this time around. We bought a little tent. We showed up. And we had a really great time.
We all went kayaking (does that have two "k"s in the middle???), and Drew handled his very well.
I was impressed with my boy. My husband made lots of fire to impress me. I was very impressed with my husband.
And by the end of the first morning, I told my daughter that she looked like a muddy wilderness pixie. The amount of dirt on her is always directly proportionate to the amount of fun she has had.
We had some expert campers with us and we ate very well. I am now in love with the smell of bacon and wood smoke and coffee mixed together. That may crack my top ten list.

<3 Christy

2 comments:

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

I was wondering where you had gone off to! I'm totally envious of the grand time you've had!!

Speaking of grand times, I'm going on church staff retreat this weekend in Gulf Shores. Very near the self same stretch of beach where we had our retreat this summer. I will not be able to attend this retreat without missing you!!.... I also have a feeling I may not get to have quite the adventure we did. Twas indeed a grand time that we must repeat and SOON!
-Becky

Joe said...

Camping is one of my favorite activities. My wife Kathy, however, could do without it entirely. She comes along, though, as long as there are flush toilets and showers within walking distance of the camp site. We haven't made it out this year yet, since we are only now going through our pre-spring freeze-thaw cycle.

I hope to make it up to the boundary waters sooner rather than later, but I suspect it will be with my friend Joel, the "boundary waters guide," and K will stay home for that one.