Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Christmas Tea


When I was still little, my daddy started a tradition with me. We called it having a cup of Christmas tea - I think there was a book about that if I recall correctly. Every year, at the end of the Christmas season, on the last night before we took down the tree, we would sit down and turn on the tree lights, turn off the house lights, have some coffee (because tea can be kinda sissy) and cry a little bit. He knew that I needed a little mourning period for the passing of my favorite time of year. He knew that I was pretty sentimental. Mostly because he was too, but don't tell him I wrote that down here.
So, I can never let the year pass without my cup of Christmas tea, and I indulged myself last night. I sat there and cried just a little bit out of happiness for the blessings in my life - my incredible family, my beautiful kids, a house that I adore....the list goes on and on. I guess that's kinda sissy, but then I also drink tea now. I cried a little bit thinking of the awesome Gift of God made into a man. I cried a lot when I thought about all the work that my brothers and my husband and my dad put into making this Christmas the best one ever and I smiled, knowing that I would cry remembering this Christmas when the next one rolls around. And then I sobbed for the vanishing childhoods in my house. I try not to think about that too much. It really isn't nice to have your children taken from you in such a stealthy way.
But when it's done, I'm always ready to move on - ready to get up and start a new year. I guess that's a good thing.

DAILY BLISS: Iced soy chai lattes on my porch with my heart's refuge - my Becky!

<3 Christy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your tradition; I think I'm going to try it next year!