Saturday, August 05, 2006

The unspiritual emotion

OK... Have you ever noticed how difficult it is to be mad and graceful at the same time? Growing up in the church, I guess I've never heard much about how to deal with anger in healthy ways. When I get angry I always feel so far from God, and so... well..... unladylike!! For some reason, I'm comfortable pouring out my pain, my joy, my embarrassment, my dreams, my faults... everything I am before God. The most private parts of my life are open and exposed to Him, but anger isn't something I feel I can dump out onto His lap. I know in my brain He isn't afraid of anything I dish out, but for some reason when I'm angry I just don't think to tell Him all about it.

So why do we try to pretend that Christians don't deal with anger? The result of this masquerade is.... well, Christians that don't deal with anger!!! Not that I have any answers, but I'm ready to honestly look at myself and my methods for dealing with angry feelings. I got irritated with my husband yesterday and just couldn’t seem to get over the angst. The result was a day feeling distanced from my man, and God, and in general feeling miserable. I’ve got to find the balance that allows me to control my emotion of anger and refuse to allow it to emerge inappropriately, and at the same time healthfully express and deal with anger so that it isn’t “stuffed.” More about this journey when I know more. Just thought in order to be real, I must post the ugly questions right along with the happy ones, right?

Rebecca

1 comment:

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

I think that we are trying to emulate that "gentle Jesus, meek and mild" that we have been taught about. We forget that he was anything but mild, and that there is a time and a place for anger, as well as all of the other emotions that are common to humanity. But I agree with you - if we don't acknowledge that within ourselves, we can't even begin to deal with it in a healthy way!
<3 Christy