Sunday, August 13, 2006

Delicious Obselescence

So....I had a pretty big birthday this year. A milestone. And my brothers and their wives bought me this awesome KitchenAid Artisan stand-up mixer. And it's red (as I mentioned before, my favorite appliance color!). I used it this morning to make biscuits.
I am pretty famous around these parts for making biscuits. I have a nice little pastry cutter and I don my apron and cut that cold butter right into the flour with just a flick of the wrist. Well, there is sometimes a little sweat involved - it's a big job. I decided I would give my mixer a shot at the famous biscuits. It worked beautifully! It just cut that butter right into the flour like....well....butter. And I just stood there.
Honestly, I felt a little obselete. My hands weren't getting floury or buttery. There were no white splotches on my clothes. Nothing. Not that it wasn't fabulous, and not that the biscuits didn't turn out better than I imagined they could - it's just that....well, I was hardly necessary in the process.
This creates quite a dilemma for a girl like me. I mean, I prefer hand-written thank-you notes and from-scratch cakes. But, the truth is, I didn't sweat at all and the biscuits were quite delicious. I mean, I did still have to cut the dough into little circles and put the pan in the oven and set the timer and.....I'm not totally outmoded......yet!

<3 Christy

No comments: