Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Furthering the Feminine Cause

GRRRLL! I am laughing out LOUD at your post! I enjoyed our conversation this morning too. And I think you are very funny with your homemade mayo. Even I, the domestic goddess extraordinaire, have had my fair share of kitchen flops! Last year, to celebrate the Chronicles of Narnia, I decided I was going to make homemade Turkish delight for all my friends, and wrap it in little white boxes with green ribbons (reference the book if you'd like to check for accuracy :)). And I was NOT about to make any of those recipes that called for gelatin. That was cheating. I was going to make the sugar-syrup, from-scratch, Turkish-grandma kind of delight. So, funds being short, I bought a cheap candy thermometer. Honey, for two weeks straight, my kitchen was awash in sticky syrups and flavorings. I made batch after batch of boiled syrup, dribbling tiny bits of it into ice water to check the hard ball vs. soft ball stage. No lie - I went through probably two dozen pounds of sugar. I only got one batch really right. Everyone got a very tiny, pathetic box of Turkish Delight which probably cost, when you factor in all the failures, more than a fancy imported box ever would have!
I guess, though, my point is that kitchen stuff and homemaking stuff is fun for me. It's how I express myself. But that isn't the definition of the feminine by any stretch. You alluded to that at the end of your post, B. Some very feminine women like to go rock climbing or are engineers. I think it has less to do with our tasks and more to do with our approach to our tasks. I think feminine women are alluring (if you don't like that word, insert "inviting"), warm, open and emotionally connected with themselves and the world around them. They long to be desired. They are irresistlbe because they know who they are and they are comfortable with themselves. Now, that's just a short list, but.....it's a start.
Hmmm. Now, my brain has just drawn a blank. Maybe I should get on to bed and continue this tomorrow......
DAILY BLISS:
Warm, soaking tropical rain with no thunder or lightning. ALL DAY! Woohoo! And building a fort out of sheets and a table with my kids.

<3 Christy

No comments: