Monday, August 07, 2006

Sniff....Snifffle...Sob


This was a pretty big day in our house! The first day of the school year for my fourth grader, and the first day of school in general for my big kindergartener. Not that she had any problem with this - oh no. She has been excited for quite some time now at the prospect of recess and field trips.
Honestly, it has really snuck up on me. I overscheduled our summer with camps and trips, and rushed through back-to-school shopping, and suddenly.....suddenly.....it was here.
We took our annual photos outside and at my son's desk, then I walked my girl to her classroom. She dutifully put her lunch ticket in the correct box (we had been through this during orientation) and turned her name card around to "check in." She hung her little tote bag up on the hook, gave me a sideways smile from her table, and ran to squeeze me one last time. I thought I saw a twinge of "I'm going to miss you Mommy" in her face, but that may have been only because I wanted it to be there so badly.
So, I was brave, and quickly pulled my giant sunglasses over my eyes as they reddened and tears almost spilled over onto my cheeks. I hurried to my car and fell apart. This is big. This is my last baby. This era of my life is now over. No turning back. Fast-forward from here on out. Tears...more tears....sniff....drive home....try not to miss the stoplights.....it was really quiet in my car.
I stumbled up the porch steps and didn't know quite what to do. So, I changed into some sweat pants and grabbed a can of chocolate frosting and some chocolate soy milk. Utter Debauchery.
All is well, though. Apparently, kindergarten is "awesome." So, she bravely forges ahead into her new territory, and I into mine.
<3 Christy

No comments: