Friday, August 04, 2006

Shiny Red Metal Joy

This is all about the most romantic gift my husband has ever bought for me - my lawn mower! Now before you start thinking I'm being sarcastic or that I'm complaining about my husband, let me tell you: I asked him for it. I have always wanted one of those little, manual push-mowers. I really can't tell you why. It's probably the same reason that I wear aprons when I cook and I love to listen to records.
Maybe I'm just an old-fashioned girl. I like the idea of taking care of my lawn without producing harmful exhaust. But I also think it's just that I don't want to have to go to the gas station every time my lawn needs a haircut. Which is twice a week, sometimes thrice, in the rainy Florida summer. Plus, mechanical things don't like me. They just don't.
It's not that I was in the habit of mowing the lawn before. That's my hubby's job. He has to fool with the lawn mower just the same, though, and half the time it just won't start. I told him that if he bought me one of those cute little push mowers, I would do the lawn for him.
I would get up early in the morning, before it got hot, and mow our little patch of green heaven! It would be the ultimate test of my multi-tasking skills. I would be getting some badly-needed exercise, I would be taking care of the lawn, and I would be saving the earth all at once! I know this sounds ambitious, but I fully believed I was up to the task.
So he looked down at me (he's very tall), raised one eyebrow and said, "OK." He bought me a red one. That's my favorite appliance color.
I don't think he believed I would really do it. It's not that my intentions aren't noble. But, it's like my dad says, "It's awfully hard for a princess to do sweaty work. It might jostle the ice cubes right out of her glass."
But I DID IT!!!! I meant what I said, and I said what I meant.....an old-fashioned girl's faithful, one hundred percent! Oh wait - wrong book.
Anyway, I'm glad he thought I wouldn't do it. I'm glad he bought me that shiny, red, little mower. I'm glad I did the whole backyard without collapsing. But mostly, I'm glad he wasn't there to see that I was very sweaty. By the way, none of the ice cubes fell out of my glass!
<3 Christy

No comments: