Thursday, February 08, 2007

A List

My work-friend Julianna had this thing on her blog - a friend asked her to post six weird things about herself. And I thought it'd be fun to do it too. Here's my six:

1) I buy a lot of tea. I don't know why I do this because I like coffee a lot more.
Every once in a while, the stockpile gets ridiculous and my Scottish heritage gets the better of me and I start drinking it. All at once. So it doesn't go to waste.

2) I have crushes on meteorologists. Especially the NBC guy here. This has always been the case for me - from the time I was old enough to have a crush. Forget the dirty talk....tell me about the approaching cold front!

3) I like - scratch that - LOVE Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. I have Tijuana Taxi on vinyl. I tell myself that the kids love to dance to it, but it's really all me.

4) I talk to animals. And not just dogs. Sometimes I even do voice-overs for animals in public. It's sort of like Mystery Science Theater...only with squirrels and pigeons.

5) I don't get what the big deal ever was about Tom Petty. Or Barry Manilow. Or Neil Diamond. Or Red Hot Chili Peppers. My list of hated music is almost as long as my list of adored music.

6) I like old cars. My dream car? An old, old truck with a wooden bed. It's sky blue. And I can use it to pick up junk on the side of the road. Which I guess is another weird thing about me....but I'm already at number six.

The truth is, I'm pretty comfortable with being weird. I always have been a little off-kilter. But I'm also pretty open about it. I had a really hard time thinking of weird things about myself that I haven't already mentioned in the past right here.
So, now it's your turn. Becky, please post six weird things about yourself! And anybody else that reads...post it in the comments! I just want to know. Because another weird thing about me is I like to know those kinds of things about people. Did anybody see the movie Amelie? I love that the narrator mentions all the little things the characters like and don't like when they are introduced! LOVE IT!

DAILY BLISS: Shopping for Valentine stuff. Emma wants to make her own this year. Not with a kit, and not with any of my ideas. Only her creativity will go with these. I also really enjoyed that Andrew didn't really care what Valentines he got, as long as he was passing out cool candy to his friends.

<3 Christy

4 comments:

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

I'll post!

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

I got a "six things" list from my hubby. This was tough, because he isn't very weird at all. I guess normalcy might be a weird thing about him.
1) He compulsively straighten the fringe on rugs. Not in a conspicuous manner - just with his foot as he's walking by.
2) He would rather walk on broken glass than listen to the lead singer of Rush (is it Geddy Lee?)
3)He bans us from spending money at restaurants where we have gotten bad service! There's a fantastic Mexican place here....we'll never eat there again.
4)He likes to read signs backwards in case they say something funny. The Polk Parkway? It's Yawkrap Klop. Wal Mart? It's Tram Law. This information just stays in his head.
5)He feels guilty if, when throwing away chunks of styrofoam (he does inventory analysis, so he unpacks lots of boxes), little tiny pieces fall on the floor. He feels like he MUST pick them up.
6) He doesn't like to wear shirts without collars. Unless it's a t-shirt. Henleys, in particular, cause him grief.

<3 Christy

60ish and Glad said...

Six Weird Things About Me – let me add – that they feel perfectly normal until someone else notices.

1. I like to hear myself make loud or obnoxious noises – droning things like – “widdle-waddley-woo and woo-woo to you too-too” in six different voices.
2. I hold my pee in order to finish a project…I have to finish what I am doing before I hit the bathroom….I really am not a “nervous” person – I just have to go to the bathroom. My mama is proud I have learned to NOT wet my pants finally.
3. I examine people and count how many are thinner or fatter than I. I always lose.
4. I love macho, testosterone-y, 18-24 year old boys. They think they own the world and when they “flirt” with an old lady who responds, they feel so good about themselves. Like doing their good deed for the day. Of course, they aren’t married yet – that is obvious because they are too – well – too full of themselves – which is really cute.
5. I don’t like stuff. I wish I had no stuff at all. Then I would never have to pick up. I would like to get rid of stuff and live in a VW van with flowers on it…except with a memory foam mattress and good air conditioning.
6. I talk to total strangers – all the time. I am very friendly and genuine. Usually in the airport, in the grocery line, at the driver’s license bureau. I know that sounds normal, but the problem is I tell them all kinds of things – none of which are true. It’s like a game. I am trying to stop that one. Just in case – one of these strangers shows up at my church on Sunday and needs prayer. – Which brings me to my recurring nightmare.

frabjouspoet said...

Here are mine:
1. I prefer to eat my food in small bites. This goes for everything from potato chips (which I bite off in pieces) to sandwiches and candy bars (which I tear into small bites before eating). I cut up salad and even steak into the smallest bites possible. Yes, I am often the last person eating.

2. I have a freakish memory. Wherever I have worked, I have known by memory all the phone numbers I used and could recall them at any given moment. When something is lost, I can just close my eyes and picture the exact place where I last left or saw it. I can see in my head (and read) pages from books. When I took music lessons, I would have the song completely memorized after 2 play throughs. (My earliest memory is the day my sister was born--I was 18 months old.)

3. I try on clothes in the middle of the store over my own clothes. This works well until an employee stops by to show me the dressing rooms.

4. Everything I own has a story. I'm not a pack rat, but anything I do keep MUST have a story behind it.

5. My first name is also my paternal grandmother's name, so for the early part of my life, we shared the same first and last name. My husband's paternal grandfather and I also share the same first name. Now that I'm married, I share the same first and last name with him.

6. My favorite food is a grilled cheese sandwich. I will even order it in a restaurant.