Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sunday School

Well... we don't call it that anymore. But I sure got SCHOOLED today!!

My awesome Bible study leader, (you totally rock, Kim) reminded me of something amazing today. We were talking over the story of Jesus calming the storm in Luke 8:22-25. Kim was reminding us that we often skip to the application idea that Jesus can calm the "storms of life." We often minimize the actual physical miracle that took place in that moment when Almighty God lifted His hand and ordered a massive storm to stop... and it did. I had my HCSB with me today, and in that translation it says the disciples "were swamped and were in danger." Boy, have I felt that lately!!

But back to the point: they were in REAL PHYSICAL DANGER from the storm. And the REAL Son of God simply spoke and nature obeyed Him as if she were His handmaiden. "Yes, sir. Anything You say, Sir."

THAT, my friends, is the kind of power possessed by the One who is in total control of my life. EVERYTHING that is happening to me is completely subject to Him. Ya'll, I am in the boat with Him, and sometimes I totally feel like screaming the disciples' cry of "MASTER, MASTER, WE ARE GOING TO DIE!!" But ya know what? He is totally capable of calming the proverbial "storm of life" that I am in right now, but even more, He rules over even the physical wind and sea. And somehow...

Somehow that makes it all ok.


Today's happy notes: The music of little voices in my house.

Mackenzie: (singing a Barlowe Girl song) "I may not be a star, but can I still be someonnnnne?"
Levi: (matter of fact-ly) "You could be a farmer."

4 comments:

Christy said...

Ha HAAAAA Ha! I love that Levi!

Sandy said...

How right you, God is in control, no matter what "boat" we may be in. Love how you worded it all though. Sounds like you have a wonderful Bible Study teacher. Love the cuteness of your children and so glad you are all happy. Still praying for you. And thanks for your comment at my blog. :D My hubby and I love coffee so I thought the coffee things were cute and stitched them.

Mary said...

Sometimes the winds and waves are better at obeying Him than I am...but I'm working on it.

Levi is funny.

frabjouspoet said...

I'm so glad you shared this. We tend do a great job at finding spiritual applications for the Bible. I think we need a reminder that it's not just an allegory to life; it *really* did happen.