Monday, March 03, 2008

Firsts

I colored my hair. All by myself. Well, actually my ten year old daughter did the spots I couldn't reach. It turned out great!! Not bad for my first crack at home hair coloring! The only casualties were a ruined towel and tank top, which are now my "hair color stuff." So now my hair is colored "chocolate cherry" and I really like it! Sort of a funky too red to be brown, to brown to be red, too light to be black, too dark to be brunette color. All in all, a successful first.

I like firsts. There's something to be said for the comfort of the familiar. But now that I'm forced into a world of firsts, I must say I have a growing appreciation for the wonder and surprise of a first time.

I'm racking up quite a list of first times. And though I hope you, reader, never have to experience some of the firsts I've been encountering, I hope you DO get to walk through your own firsts with the wonder of a child, trusting the same God that is sustaining me as I toddle through every one of these shaky first steps.

I'm going to bed now. I'm sleeping on the first bedding set I've ever purchased on no one's opinion but my own. I'll need to rest up for tomorrow, when I'll get in the first car I've ever bought by myself, pop in the first CD I've ever bought FOR myself, turn it up loud and drive to the first job I've ever had in the assisted living business, where I'll put in the hours I need to support myself and my kids alone for the first time. Hey, I'm on a roll! Maybe I'll come home and make cornish game hens for supper. It'd be a first!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You, my friend, are so amazing. I love you! Happy Birthday!

Sandy said...

So proud of you. I have always done my own hair, I guess I just didn't care what color it came out as. LOL Congrats on your first. You can do this, have faith.

Christy said...

Woo Hoo! I have hair color stuff.
Here's to firsts.
And to chocolate covered cherries.
Especially when they're on your head.

Mary said...

You are a wonderful advocate for the bright side of things. Keep up the good work and let us know how the cornish game hens turn out.

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

No dice on the hens, yet. That may be a weekend meal. I'm thinking weeknight might have been too optimistic. But... they ARE in my freezer. Any tips, anyone?

Christy said...

Well, since they're already in your freezer....
http://homecooking.about.com/od/chickenrecipes/r/blpoul19.htm
I think the lemon and basil one sounds good....

frabjouspoet said...

I've always wanted to try Cornish game hens. They've intrigued me since I was a kid.