Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter Alone

On Saturday I sent my kids to be with their dad for spring break. Bereft doesn't begin to describe how I felt. My heart slammed into the wall of reality as I faced a week alone. Fortunately, I had a good friend to stand, or drive, beside me the whole way. She let me cry and vent all I needed.

I got home and wandered aimlessly around my empty house. I thought about going to a movie, or going to the store. Anything to get away from the loneliness. But finally, I decided no. I would face this week alone. God and I will face it. He has things to tell me and I will not run. That decided, I settled in with some mint chocolate chip ice cream and had a rather peaceful evening.

Sunday, Easter morning, I woke up crying. Not unusual for me these days. My first thought was of Jesus and His first words to Mary on that very first Easter day. "Why are you crying?" I realized that I wouldn't be the first weeping woman that Jesus encountered on Easter. I also realized that the same eyes that saw Mary that morning long ago see me now. I spent the morning in quiet, getting ready for the busy times ahead during worship services.

As I was headed out my door to walk over to church, I noticed a pretty Easter flag had been placed in my yard. From a distance I could see a bright colored cross on the flag, but as I approached, I saw that the cross was actually a formation of butterflies. And printed over and over on the flag is the verse II Corinthians 5:17, the very reference that is tattooed on my back just underneath a butterfly. "If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. Old things are passed away. Behold, ALL THINGS ARE MADE NEW."

Talk about a love note from God! Hand delivered by a sister from my amazing church family. A perfect start to a new beginning. I had been apprehensive about this Easter alone. It turned out to be the most meaningful Easter I can remember. Music and memories, friendship and fondue, singing and sleeping. All those things were involved in the loveliness of the day. But the best part is, that God took my lonely heart, wrapped it up tight in His love, whispered to it His secrets, and covered it with a blanket of grace. He turned my loneliness into an opportunity to really see Him.

He is risen! He is risen indeed! He is risen IN ME!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As somebody who knows you from afar, I can see you need encouragement. This hurts me to see you hurt, but I think of a verse that has comforted me through the years. Luke 22:31-32-"Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren." I don't understand the things that your enduring, but I know God has a plan for you. He might be walking you through these deep waters for a purpose that seems so wrong. But as the purpose of this verse states, hang in there. Don't give up, and don't give in!! Other's may fall or fail, but remain true unto your Master who bought you with a precious price. Run the race faithfully, so when that day comes he can say unto you "well done, thou good and faithful servant."(Matt. 25:21) Even though he slay me! (Job 13:15)

I am praying for you and the children! I hope this encourages you in this hour.

Signed: One of His Redeemed!

Christy said...

Oh, friend. I ache for you.
But I'm so encouraged by the ways that God is bringing you hope and healing through your community there. Good stuff!