Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Smurf-hater

I've been spending a lot of time over the last couple of years really learning and processing God's gift of grace. I've learned that the legalism I once prided myself on, the rule following that helped me feel like I was a success at the "God game" is the very thing that distracted me from really getting into gratitude for the magnificent gift of God's love and His only Son.

Remember the Smurfs? I used to love that show. One of my favorite toys was a Smurfette doll. I mean, who wouldn't want to be Smurfette? Until..... One day we heard that the Smurfs were VERY BAD due to the evil person, Gargamel that was constantly chasing the poor little blue guys. I don't know the creator of Smurfs, and it probably wasn't the cream of the childhood television crop, but my point is that the church people around me had taken their eyes off of the prize: the good news of God's love, and for some reason felt the need to spend time addressing a cartoon of blue people who lived under mushrooms. Hmmm....

Take it from a former Smurf-hater: Let's STOP enforcing rules that only help us feel better than other people who don't follow said rules quite as closely. Let's focus on the amazing love poured out on us all in the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Why continue to fuel a side show of legalism that only takes away from the Main Event? I wish I could tell you the difference, the leaps I've made toward Jesus once I realized that I no longer needed the rules. I need HIM! And I have Him! Thank God, I have Him.

I don't mean to preach, but dontcha think it's... well, SMURFY!!!??

Other random craziness:

Congratulations Jordin Sparks. Ya done good, girl. I never voted for you, but well... I know you will bear with grace the amazing things handed to you at the tender age of 17. I bawled watching your proud mom and dad celebrate. For now, I think I've had enough of Idol. I'm not sure I'll be as gung-ho next year. We got Carrie Underwood, why not quit while we're ahead?

Kelly Clarkson totally rocked on the show. LOVED HER!! Hate to remind her, but... Never say "never," honey.

OK, I got a lovely gift today. A WHOLE BOX of dark chocolate candies with orange fluffy stuff inside. ALL MY OWN!!!! Don't tell anyone, ok?

I also moved into a new purse today. I don't know how long this little number will last for me, but it felt really cute anyway.

Rain. I forgot how much pleasure there was in rain. Today I took off my shoes and made a run for it in the pouring rain. mmmm...

I'm worn out for now, so I'm off to smurf myself right into bed. 'Night!!

2 comments:

Christy said...

Hee hee! I wasn't allowed to watch Smurfs. I grew up in the Christian Ghetto, see. There was a point in time when some even burned their Cabbage Patch dolls, but we never went that far. I can't remember why the great burnings were necessary....

Mary said...

I wasn't allowed to watch Smurfs either. And there are cartoons that I don't feel good about letting my kids watch either. My personal take on this, is not so much that we shouldn't be legalistic, we just don't need to be legalistic for others. When I'm convicted about something, I have to repent and get a little lawful with myself in order to stay away from it or protect my kids. However, I certainly don't tell anyone else what their kids should be watching because hey...maybe God has different issues He's dealing with in their house. They are none of my business, and I certainly don't need to be tossing my two cents in what may already be a full bank of issues. Who knows what I could tip over, blow up or stretch beyond capacity by my desire to play the role of Holy Spirit for someone else.