Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Adventures

I spent today out of my comfort zone. I got a good look at just how entrenched I am in the "Christian Ghetto" as Christy so aptly calls it. Oh sure, I spend a lot of time having unconventional conversation with unconventional women, but lots of that takes place on my turf: the campus of a church or the confines of a women's retreat. It's a challenge to go from feeling very at home and in charge (how I feel most of the time) to feeling unsure how I fit in and how someone else with different beliefs will relate to me. Interesting.

I'm far from finished thinking this through, but for now I'm exhausted. One thing I'll say: I learned today that God is plenty capable of speaking for me and through me, in ANY situation, and sometimes.... well, sometimes He wants me to be quiet. Hmmm...

In other random thoughts...

Goodbye to an icon of that Christian Ghetto, Dr. Jerry Falwell. Goodbye for now, anyway. Since he is now seeing the face of God and no longer gives a flying flip what is going on down here, I know it doesn't matter to him, but thanks anyway, Dr. Falwell, for being a pioneer. Sure, you were controversial at times, way over the top to some people, but no doubt you made a difference for Christians everywhere. You were a brave warrior. Kiss the King for me, and I'll see ya when I get there.

Goodbye to Melinda Doolittle, obviously the best singer on American Idol this season. You had my vote every time... obviously teenage girls are more adept at texting than those of my age, or else you would be winner.

Goodbye Norma Jean...


Heading to Birmingham, AL this weekend. Pray for me and for the group to which I'll be speaking. Their leader broke her leg last weekend, so challenges abound in pulling off this event.
I'm off to more adventures...

Becky

1 comment:

Christy said...

Heh. Grrrrl, welcome to the fringes of Christianity. If you can see the Ghetto from where you're standing, you are obviously not standing in it! Congratulations:) I won't say it's always comfortable out here, but it's worth the trek.
Happy adventuring - I'll call you later.