Friday, May 04, 2007

Makin' a Baby

Just another snippet of four-year-old wisdom. In Levi's words, here's how you make a baby:

"Mom, you want me to tell you how to make a baby?" "Uh, sure," I reply incredulously. "Ok, you eat and eat and eat and eat everything on your plate. Then you go to the doctor and it makes a baby."

At Levi's preschool, there is at least one pregnant teacher at this time. I suppose in seeing the big belly, Levi deduced that the pregnant lady must have simply eaten and eaten until there was enough food in her belly for the doctor to work with.

When Mackenzie was his age, I got pregnant with him. She wasn't concerned about where he was coming from, she wanted to know how he was going to get out. "How will the baby get out of your tummy?" she asked... repeatedly. I told her God had given mommies a special place where the babies come out. I expected this to be sufficient information. But no. Her reply? "Show me." Talk about painting yourself into a corner!!

With the medical difficulties I've had of late, the doc says there shouldn't be any more Hughes babies. And that's ok with me. There is no woman more blessed than me with the two kids I have. I love being their mommy. (Plus it's quite an education, don't you agree?)

2 comments:

frabjouspoet said...

You're going to be quite the expert by the time Levi graduates. :)

Christy said...

Holy cow! That is so stinkin' funny! Andrew found "the talk" quite disgusting yet informative. He then proceeded to ask me (his daddy had given him the info) when I came in to squeeze him goodnight, if I thought it was fun!!! Ha! Of course, I told him that it was indeed fun. I love how kids come to their little conclusions about this stuff!