Thursday, September 28, 2006

Becky's Mind Candy

I love to read! I read for fun, for relaxation, and of course to attempt to appease my insatiable knowledge cravings. Being in full time seminary class, much of my reading time is occupied with the knowledge part. But today.... today I decided it was high time I pick up a little of what I call "mind candy." So I headed into the campus bookstore and found a great sale on some deliciously enjoyable fiction novels. I splurged.

In my attempt to treat myself to the escape of a good book, I picked up an intriguing story called Mozart's Sister. Did you know that Mozart had a sister who was equally as talented as he? Her name was Nannerl Mozart. Author Nancy Moser has done an incredible job of telling her story in a beautifully written, well researched historical fiction novel based on Nannerl's life! Nannerl Mozart was denied the prestigious opportunities that Wolfgang had because she was a girl. But more than a statement about inequality among the sexes, Mozart's Sister is a thought provoking story that is challenging me to think about my purpose, my calling, and my gifts. In the dedication, Moser writes something I think is incredibly profound:

"To all who live in this amazing age of opportunity. Waste no chance to carry out your God-given purpose. Too many have not had the luxury of CHOICE."

So here's to you, Nannerl Mozart! And here's to God for the purpose He's woven into my being. I determine to faithfully live out that purpose no matter how it scares me. How dare I do any less in light of those like Nannerl who had no opportunity to do so!

So much for Mind Candy!!! This is something to chew on!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Great Blog!

frabjouspoet said...

Reminds me of a woman I overheard in a D.C. museum. "Use the opportunities you have in honor of those who never had the chance."