Thursday, September 18, 2008

Takin' it Home

It's been quiet on the blogfront lately. The last days have been a little complicated, and a lot dramatic.

A decision has been made. It's one I've been wrestling with for a while and after many discussion, many tears, and some loud sobbing, I've come to a conclusion. In a few weeks I'll be moving to my hometown of Lakeland, FL. The kids and I will be living in my Grandmother's home, and they will be enjoying one of the most beautiful places in the world for kids to be raised.

There are layers and layers of complex feelings about this choice for me. I'm absolutely broken in two to be leaving my beloved Riverside Church. My Framily. The greatest pastor that ever was. In fact I'm fairly sure I am being torn apart since a large piece of my heart will always be here. Truthfully, a huge reason I've resisted this choice is that I wasn't sure my heart could stand another wound like this. I wasn't sure I could absorb another break right now. I still have no idea how I'll stand it.

I'm also ready. I think God's about to take it up a notch between Him and me. Seems funny, since I'll be stepping away from nearly all the stuff I do for Him. But that in itself, that stripping away of all the "stuff" all the activity that I engage in on His behalf, all the roles that define who I am in His kingdom... that will be a new level of intensity in my relationship with God. I won't be able to hide behind the stuff I do and the roles I play, and rely on those things to reassure me of who I am before God. I will have to discover who I am, really, without any roles whatsoever in the church. IS ANYONE ELSE FREAKING OUT ABOUT THAT???? WHAT DO GOOD CHRISTIAN GIRLS LOOK LIKE WITHOUT CHURCH JOBS??? DO I EVEN EXIST WITHOUT MINISTRY WORK????

Know what that means? That means me and God, acres of land, a front porch with rocking chairs, and hours to spend talking about.... hmmm... well, if we aren't talking about what songs are being played Sunday and what needs are in my small group, and what ministry event is coming up next, what rehearsal, what group meeting... then WHAT WILL WE SAY???? Does this mean that God might want to just sit with me a while? Does it mean He might rock me in one of those rocking chairs and just let me be? Does it mean He might make me wrestle some monsters? Does it mean I might have to let Him just love me for me... poor, crazy, unworthy me? Of course, I know He does love me for me, I think I believe that anyway. But it's easier said than lived out, especially when I've always had plenty of good "stuff" goin' on for God. You know, just in case He ever needed a reason to want me as His girl, I've always been busy making sure there were plenty of reasons. I know that in reality those reasons are filthy rags. But they still make me feel better. And now, with no more reasons, I'll have to fall completely on the grace of God and find out what it's like to be loved extravagantly, undeservedly, unreservedly, and I'll be utterly without ability to give anything in return. Which is where, in reality, I already am. However, right now I've got lots of nice distractions to help me avoid the conscious awareness of where I really stand.

I told you there were complex layers of feeling.

This is going to be an adventure.

If you're ready, I'm ready. Stay with me. We're about to take it home. We're about to look Grace in the face. I'm about to take some of the valuable things I've learned over the last few years and test them in a major way.

Feels like I'm at the top of a roller coaster ride and about to plummet down the steep incline. Oh well... my arms are in the air, I may be screamin my head off, but I'm ready to take this ride. Let's Go...

6 comments:

Christy said...

Well, there was a time when I freaked out, too, about my relationship with God outside of the roles I play in church.
But, I dipped my toes in that pool many years ago. Come on in, girl, the water's fine.

Mary said...

Do enjoy the ride Becky. I feel like I know at least partially what you're feeling. Having had the opportunity to be "in the ministry" for five years and then have God tell me to be a "normal" person all of a sudden, I took it pretty hard. It was hard to sit back and not "do something" when I knew what needed to be done but was not in the position to do it. The hardest part for me was not to look for the next ministry I could invest my time into and instead concentrate on being all I was supposed to be in the moment at hand. God had to be so patient with me. Part time fabric store clerk, receptionist, and finally the best ministry of all...motherhood. It still burns in me to serve with greater influence but contentment comes with time sometimes. And who knows what God has around the corner.

Greg Finch said...

Here are the thoughts of your "brother from another mother."

Your torment is the result of agonizing over the asking of some essential questions. Your soul doesn’t ache from the answers. We all share the same internal duel and the battle is not fought on our turf. Pray on these truths about the essential struggles as I see them, your brother who loves you.

We long to be loved. You are deeply loved in heaven and on earth.

We must make sense of our lives. Your life is in Christ and therefore has no geographic limitations. Most people cannot make sense of what they cannot see. You are a child of God. You are created to follow so that you may see. In times like these, when it seems pitch black, does it really matter that you are blind. Trust Him.

We need to know we have purpose. Your Savior, your children, your family, and your framily are not woven together with you by the roles you play. We are fettered at the heart and you are stuck with us. Your significance is in Christ and that orchestration is far from finished.

Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. (Colossians 3:2,3)

I will miss you dearly. I will always love you as your brother.

Anonymous said...

It's really true? Your coming home? In one breath I'm SOOOOOO excited because that means that we can sit on our porches together, often, rockin' away (I'm closing on my house in two weeks). But, in another breath, I know this has been a really tough decision for you. I'll be praying that you and the kids have an overwhelming peace as you pack up your LA life and move back. I just have one question for you... so when will I be moving memberships?? I love you!! :)

Sandy said...

I wish you the best. I'm so glad to have gotten the chance to meet you and I hope to meet up with you again. You are truely a special woman. I don't know the pain you are going through right now, I'm not you. I have lived through a terrible divorce and I know that kind of pain so I do sympathize with you.

I will keep you and your children in my prayers. I know you will land on your feet because you have the best attitude of anyone I've ever met and you are looking up which is the right way. Louisiana will miss you.

Barb said...

You brought me to tears with this post. I have been reading your posts this morning after you commented on my blog.

I wrote a post on my blog about the disapearing church lady. After "serving God" as a leader for all of my life I found myself alone - just me and my family with no "church" around me. It is still freaky to me. I'm still learning that the Father loves me just as I am. Nothing else.

One of the best books I read about Grace was Wayne Jacobsen's book, He Loves Me. I encourage you to get it. Grace has been the theme of my life these past few years and I still feel as if I'm just scratching the surface.

Anyway, I will be adding you to my reader. Anyone on such an adventure needs to be followed!
Blessings,
Barb