Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Every doggie dies famous...

Funny story:

Tonight after church I decided to go for a walk. I know walking alone in the dark isn't all that safe, but the delicious breeze was too much of a comfort to pass up. So I'm walking around my neighborhood and I hear this insane yelling. A man's voice, an angry man's voice is screaming out into the night. My heart starts pounding faster thinking "I knew I shouldn't be out here. Someone's about to get killed and I'll be a witness."

I pressed on anyway, and rounded the corner. I kept looking as I got closer to the screaming to see if it was 2 guys in a fight or a domestic situation or what. As I walked toward the ruckus, I began to be able to understand what the angry man was yelling.

"PRECIOUS! PREEEEEEEEEEEEEE CIOUS!!! PRECIOUS!!! PRECIOUS!"

Oh yes, you know it. I soon walked up on a grown man outside in his shorts and nothing else trying to catch the biggest, goofiest dog ever. Named Precious.


HAAAAA HA HA HA HAHA!!

Precious lumbered over to him slowly and he didn't let up. He let her have it all the way in the house. "Precious! You git back here! You got me out here makin' all kind of noise. Got me out here yellin'! You better git in here now!"

I went on with my walk, pretending I never saw or heard dog man yelling. But it was a great performance.

This leads me to two conclusions:

1) Rednecks are everywhere.
2) When one purchases a dog, one must accept the inevitability of standing outside in your underwear at night yelling for the dog. Name it something you wouldn't be embarrassed to scream at the top of your lungs. Mr. Wiggles probably wouldn't be a great choice. Neither would Armageddon.

5 comments:

Mary said...

LOL...Do you have name suggestions for appropriate underwear clad yelling?

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

Of course I do!! I'm thinkin "The Redcoats are Coming!" would be an appropriate and even patriotic thing to yell, plus it sounds like a fancy pedigree name for a dog. And there's always the name "Gimme another beer, baby" if you wanted to stick with the redneck image.

Greg Finch said...

Hey, Your Pastor, Jim Caldwell, who has a dog named Precious, wants everyone to know this is NOT about him. And m' dawg's name is Chino, so it's not me either. Besides I was fully dressed when I spoke to you as you departed for said walk. Go Get 'Em!

Mary said...

That's hilarious. You are funny.

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

HA HA! My sincerest apologies to the greatest pastor, ever, Jim Caldwell. For the record, I never once made the connection in my mind, or I might have indicated Jim's innocence in the blog. Or I might not have. :)