Saturday, September 08, 2007

Lottery and Leadership

I spent today doing what I love, then had a yummy dinner with the people I love, and now I'm settled in at home with a happy exhaustion. Today I got to teach a women's ministry workshop at Ridgecrest on the River, a conference for church leaders. Before I fade completely out, I have to share some thoughts about the day.

At the end of the day, there was a conference-wide worship service. The speaker, Dr. Bill Taylor, said and showed some things that have really got me pondering. He talked about some of the Southern Baptist leaders from 1950-1980 and their innovative ministry methods. What was groundbreaking innovation in their day has become "the way we do it" in this denomination. Dr. Taylor cited the example of the Sunday evening service, which was created during a time when many homes had no electricity, but often the church in town did have electricity. Some innovative leader saw that people wanted to come where there was electricity, so they began an evening service that resulted in many new believers. What was, in its day, a creative method for ministry has now become a sacred cow for many.

As he presented these thoughts, Dr. Taylor showed us a graph. The graph displayed Southern Baptist growth during the 1950's to 1980's, showing an explosive growth for that period. Of course, it also displayed the slight but steady decline that has occurred over the last couple of decades.

I couldn't help asking myself some sobering questions. I was reminded of a time when I was "coasting" on the wealth of knowledge my parents placed in me. Mom and Dad implanted in my brain a veritable textbook of Southern Baptist doctrine and scripture memory. I felt satisfied with this knowledge for a long time. After all, I could quote circles around most Christians I knew. I could go long periods of time without experiencing anything new from God and no one was the wiser because I talked the talk so well. I had a treasure of knowledge, and that was great, but it sure didn't take the place of real, life changing connection with God. Eventually, I couldn't coast any longer.

Is this where we are as a denomination? Have we been coasting on the surge of growth brought about through the inspiration God gave to the leaders of past decades?

Think about it. If I won the lottery, I'd quit working. The millions would give me a sense of safety, a feeling that I could finally afford to take a little time off. Has the explosive growth of last century given our denomination a "lotto" mentality? After all, we've become the largest and richest protestant denomination in America, so we can afford to coast a while on the hard won victories of our past leaders. But, can we really?

As Dr. Taylor referenced the ideas of leaders gone before, I don't believe he was recommending that we return to their specific programs. He was urging us to grasp for ourselves the passion and courage behind their ideas. They took the risk of trying new things like Sunday night services in their attempt to share the good news about the kingdom of heaven. Where did we get the idea that we could just steal their ideas and not do the work of innovation and creativity for ourselves? At what point did we become so comfortable with the windfall of growth that we no longer felt the need to keep up with the changing needs of people in our society?

I don't think they expected the next generation to ride their ministry coat tails. I think they expected us to find newer, more effective ways to minister to a new generation. And it's becoming evident that our "free ride" has a cost after all.

I don't like this idea of coasting. I want the adventure, the suspense, and the intense work that it will take to drop the security blanket of what I've always known and forge ahead into the uncharted territory of sharing Jesus with people in the here and now. I'll look to the example of those before me and their passionate risks. But I'll not miss the ride Jesus has planned for ME by being too lazy or chicken to get in the vehicle with Him.

Frankly, the idea that God Himself wants to give me personal direction and unique ideas for what He has called me to do is WAY TOO wonderful to pass up, even for the safety and comfort of never having to take a risk.

I'll treasure the opportunity I had today to live out my passion for women's ministry. But I'll also be pondering the serious questions of today for a while. I just can't think of passing up my own explosion and settling for the aftercloud of someone elses.

Daily bliss: Today was full of happiness, but there's nothing like coming home to the ones I love. So for today, my happiness is my sweet love and my two babies. I'm a blessed woman.

5 comments:

frabjouspoet said...

The Sunday evening service has always been my favorite because it is more laid back than that pomp and circumstance of the morning service. I guess in some way, it seemed more authentic to me. My most life-changing moments happened somewhere in a middle-left pew between the hours of 6 and 7.

Mary said...

Our church left Sunday night services and it was so hard. Hard for me to get over the tradition of it. I had always attended Sunday night service. It's a blessing to have that night for family now.

We have a pastor who has a vision for our church and he teaches our leaders to have vision. It's what I pray for Kris and I, that we would be people of vision for what God has called us to do. It's exciting to step out of the boat and see what happens when we're called to walk on the water.

Christy said...

Right now, I'm reading "An Unstoppable Force" by Erwin McManus (The Barbarian Way guy). I didn't know that he was, in fact, a Southern Baptist pastor. Maybe his church still is within the denomination, I don't know. But he had a lot of similar things to say. I don't remember if it was in the book (which you need to read because it's on the very same subject matter as this post) or in a conversation I had about him with someone else, but I know he addressed a leadership convention within the denomination with the same thoughts. And you know, girl, that I'm with you on creating my own explosion....it's much more fun that way.

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

Yeah, C, Erwin McManus hails from the good ole SBC. The sad part is that his style is so innovative that no one connects him with the denomination. And yet, it's the Erwin McManuses, the Saddlebacks, the sparks of risky innovation here and there that keep my hope alive that the SBC's greatest days aren't forever in the past.

N Dyess said...

There definately needs to be an awakening in Christians in general. Our walk with God has to be that; a constant journey (implying that there is action there). Some how we have got to turn our faith into an action word and not just a noun. Thanks for your insite!!!