Monday, July 31, 2006

Christy's Desk


This is my desk. I designed this desk three years ago. It is just now being built.
I don't really know why it's taken so long to get the project underway, but now that it's nearing the finish, I am really excited! The top is an old door that was laying around in my house when I bought it three years ago. I knew instantly that it would be a desk, as soon as I found the right bits of salvage to finish it off. I have searched for something for it to stand on: table legs, stair ballusters, and fence posts on ebay and in thrift stores and antique malls in so many places! But I found just the right pair of chippy, old farm table legs last month. You can't imagine how excited I was! I love old junk - especially junk that once was useful. Aprons, canning jars, windows - they're all gorgeous projects-in-the-making to me! I guess I believe in their intrinsic value, and I love to see them find new purpose. I love the stories that are bound up within their fibers. I'll probably never know what the stories are, but I love them just the same.
Some of the most important men in my life - my daddy, my husband and the oldest of my brothers - put a lot of sweat into my lovely desk yesterday. They thought I was a little crazy when I told them what I wanted to do. I'm frankly grateful that my husband didn't resent the hours I spent scouring for those table legs (or the shocking amount of money I invested in them!). Even my dad, who is a creative, talented craftsman, thought the whole thing was a little iffy. But the nods of approval started to flow as they explored different methods of constructing, and the pieces were put in their proper places. My dad even said he was surprised at how cool this project turned out to be. Do you have any idea how hard it is to surprise my dad?!?
I'll post some photos when it's all done. But for now, it makes me smile just to think of it sitting in the workshop, with its newly-attached feet on the ground, waiting for me to bring it back home!

No comments: