Thursday, November 06, 2008

The Eagle Has Landed

I'm HERE! I'm stumped about what to write. Where do I start? Mostly I'm still reeling from culture shock and the enormity of this adjustment. I wasn't prepared.

I've started work already, and it's going to be an adventure! I'm back in the office at Smith & Thomas Insurance with some of the best people there are. My actual duties are quite a change from what I've been up to at St. Francis Villa, so I'm getting used to that. I've already concluded that the insurance business could use some extra crazy, a little extra spice. New Orleans spoiled me, I guess. So I'm workin on that.

The family farm is coming right along. I'm adding my own personal touches. It's different living in my Granny's home, but now I'm the grown-up. I'm hoping it's the best of her and the best of me. You can see here how my Florida church family has already poured on the grace, and I'll post some pics of the finished product soon.

Ah, church. That's a whole new ball game too. For the first time in my life, I'm not a pianist, staff wife, Bible teacher, or leader of any kind in a church. Talk about culture shock. I hardly know what to do with myself. I'm not going to get all emotional and philosophical about it in this blog. That could very well cause me to need some type of hospitalization. This type of thing will have to unravel slowly.

Not to worry, though. All in all, I'm more than ok. As my friend Monica reminded me, God reigns in Florida too. And reign, He does, as always. What a comfort.

For now, I'll sign off with some Florida blisses and New Orleans misses:

Florida Blisses:
BABIES IN MY ARMS AGAIN.
GREENS for dinner, picked from my daddy's garden THAT DAY.
Yelling hello to my son while he is on mom's porch and I am on mine.
Lunch with my mom.
Dinner with my dad at his hunting camp. Yummy!
Church on a couch.
Loud rock music and painting while behaving in an unseemly manner, which is allowed since it was just me and Christy.
Oranges, of course.
Clean, no make that PRISTINE streets in downtown.

New Orleans misses:
A Certain Someone In Particular
MY FRAMILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *tears*
Yelling hello to Alice while she is in her driveway and I am in mine.
Lunch made by Certain Someone.
Dinner at someplace awesome with my framily.
Church on the front pew.
Loud worship music played with the band while only slightly misbehaving during rehearsal.
Beignets, of course.
Dirty, no make that DISGUSTING streets in downtown. (I still love 'em.)

5 comments:

Mary said...

The family farm life sounds great. Good to hear from you again.

Anonymous said...

It's good to see u in the blogosphere. Praying for u! Jim

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to Florida. I pray that in your transition, you learn everything God has for you :) What a blessing that your new church is already a support!

Sandy said...

I'm so glad you arrived safe and sound and what a blessing for everyone to help you out. It sounds like you're getting settled but I know it's an adjustment. It will take time and you will heal. Enjoy the extra time with your parents, it's a wonderful gift and there is a reason for all things.

Anonymous said...

My "dream" life is the "family farm" life! Enjoy that...rather, cherish it!

As far as the whole, 1st time to not be "a pianist, staff wife, Bible teacher, or leader of any kind"...savor that, too. All of those things are great in their time, but this is a new season for you. You will feel somewhat strange & out of place not being in any of those positions, but you'll soon come to enjoy it and all He has to show you through it. It's time for you to be led and ministered to (not that you weren't in NOLA, by any means, but this is different.).

Can't wait to hear/read all of the great things He has prepared for you on this new leg of your journey!

Love you!
Haelie