Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Pining Away

What I miss about Florida:

After a tearful goodbye I hope you'll permit me a bit of reflection about my home state. Here's my top ten list of things I miss about the sunshine state.

1. Laughing with my family. Loudly.
2. Fresh food. Grown by God and my Daddy in the blackest richest dirt you've ever seen.
3. The smell of orange blossoms.
4. My kids with bare dirty feet from playing just as hard as I did when I was a kid.
5. Produce stands. Why doesn't Louisiana have any produce stands for heavens sake?
6. Spending a Saturday morning misbehaving with my sister making way too much noise while shopping and laughing so much that I have to cross my legs.
7. Steak dinners. I NEVER eat restaurant steak due to the inevitable failure to compare with what my dad and brother can do with red meat and a gas grill.
8. Church. Old hymns in three or four part harmony sung in the same pew with my mom and dad. Standing in the snctuary where I was baptized and my grandfathers funeral was held and my sisters wedding and countless Vacation Bible School processionals were made carrying a flag or Bible to the front marching in time to Onward Christian Soldiers. The nursery where my diapers were changed and the sunday school rooms where I became the fastest Bible drill kid you've ever known. (If you don't believe it, try me.)
9. A few square miles of a neighborhood where just about every street bears my family name.
10. Publix supermarkets and the general cleanness of just about every other public place. No one pukes or pees in downtown Lakeland.

So I guess even though my car sports a Louisiana tag, it'll take more than that to get Florida outta this girl. All this to give you a sappy glimpse at the heart of a FL native who loves her life as it is but still sometimes wishes Florida dirt was under her feet. A couple days back in New Orleans and maybe this lump in my throat will go away.

3 comments:

Mary said...

Other than the Orange blossoms (which could be replaced with Apple blossoms), and the Publix markets (which can't be replaced because who can compare with Publix, really?) I feel the same way after visiting my home state. Okay, and the steak dinners, my dad was not a griller, but my mom was the best bread baker in the county, possibly the state. I think church and family are the key factors, more so than location but it's definitely amazing how crossing that state line (coming and going) brings up so much emotion. We will be in Florida tomorrow for a wedding and brief visit with Kris' family. You've made me look forward to it even more.

frabjouspoet said...

Does anything ever compare with laughing loudly with your family? Nothing makes me feel more at peace with the world.

Christy said...

I love your list! Sorry it has taken me so long to comment. Every time I think about it, I just want to say that my little patch of Florida is always sad to see you leave. So there.