Monday, September 14, 2009

Consolation

In the middle of life's whirlwind of late, and all the stress, hormones, tears, worries, and emotions that are part of this pregnancy, I have a consolation.

Psalm 139 says "You knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made."

Know what I was thinkin? That means God Himself, the same One who made the mountains is actually, physically, with His own hands, piecing someone together inside my physical body right now.

There are no words to tell you how much I needed that knowledge. Sometimes in life's complications... you know, the ones that don't fit inside the guidelines of what I dreamed for myself and my life, it's hard to know that God is there. It's hard not to be seriously in doubt. It's interesting in the midst of some of my most spiritually barren times, God has chosen to actually physically touch me. Perhaps I have no feelings that prove His work in my life, but I see the physical evidence of it literally swelling inside me.

Now that I consider it, all three of my pregnancies have come at spiritually difficult times. How well He knows me... If my heart refuses to or simply hasn't the strength to hear, He just takes over my body.

This knowledge is precious to me. Too wonderful to express.

3 comments:

Christy said...

One of my favorite Psalms...

Mary said...

When I was pregnant with Owen I remember this realization that since I am a Christian and God is in me the two of them are hanging out in there together. I really enjoyed that thought and it changed the way I prayed a little. Instead of asking God for Owen's future I was able to more clearly see that Owen was being influenced right then and there by a very present Creator. Pregnancy is so cool.

Anonymous said...

Rebecca, oh how sweet to hear you are expanding! give us a call I want to stay in touch. Monica at CLW